Friday, December 17, 2010

Spurs sign FA Robbie Earl




The Spurs decided to sign free agent left winger Robbie Earl recently. This is a curious move in that the Spurs have a quite a few wingers of the same stature.
When approached the GM said, "While I realize some think, "where is he going to play?", I'm sure Coach Q will get use out of Robbie. Considering his energy and his recent numbers in the AHL, we figure he was worth a 2 year contract at the bargain price of $550k per season. A gamble, sure, but a cheap one. If he continues to do well in the AHL I doubt the Wild in the NHL will be able to ignore bringing him up to the show."

Dasher Notes
Recently the Spurs' were on a bit of a roll with a 5 game unbeaten streak behind Pekka Rinne in net. Curiously, Coach Q decided to go with Brodeur and the club is now 1-2 since inserting Marty as the starting goalie. Coach Q said, "Well, Marty is a vet. Sure he's had a couple of rough games but I'm sure he'll turn it around. I was getting concerned about Rinne's fatigue and figured I'd better get Marty in for a few. Of course, I expected better out of him."
A couple of weeks ago or so the Spurs' floated most of their UFAs on the league trade wire, except for blueliner Steve Staios as reported earlier, the response has been underwhelming, at best.

No comments: